Friday 11 July 2008

Firefox saves Windows Vista for me

Firefox is my computer interface for 90% of the day I was just think and that is the only thing that saves my annoyance with Windows vista on my laptop. I have to say I am happy-er with the interface than previous versions and I do not mind saying that and the new version of office - though I can not find some things first time - is I think a good shift in the product. I know others may not think so. Firefox saves my hating the random crashes of my Dell Inspiron 1525 (with blue top) for two more recient things. Aside from the standards compliance, better browser, extensions, web developer tool bar and firebug and not being the crap of IE. The two things are spell checking in textareas (though would be nice if it would check inputs too) as my spelling is not the best and it saves typing emails in word. And the imporant one saving all my tabs when the machine blue screens for no reason!

I regularly have maybe 8+ tabs open and would not remember them all if firefox or windows crashed. So if it did forget them I would have to start my thinking all over again. This then means that the crash becomes a momentary pause rather than a throw things accross the room and I thank it many times.

My laptop even with all the updates I throw at it crashes for reasons only known to it's self despite all the updates I throw at it. I amoung only a few people who are used to pushing computers to crash. I run alot of aps at once, install a lot of software and put off restarting until a crash. I don't let windows time to refresh I switch between aps when one is running slow and come back to it a few seconds latter (expecting it does not have to do everthing now but with work out the maths in a minute).

The machine I use has to be ready for the way I work I oftern think and I am 60% likely to crash your machine if I try to demo or fix anything for you. I don't even try to make some elses machine work hard. But they will not usualy have thinks set quite how I do so after firing up a browser and need to browse a file and in the massive delay time the server takes to list the contence of a folder I just have to fit their settings to show files extensions and list in Details way and by the time I have switched back the browser and wated for a url now not to load the network has not frozen and the machine locked up. Why never quite sure that is not a freaky thing to do so I am of the mind that machines know who uses them and work best like that like a horse being riden or a car driven.

But I digress My HP big tower at work seems to have had screen driver issues and a windows update kept it up and only now crashes less than once a week, I can deal with that. So why does the laptop that is not running a million apps for work and oftern restarted work so badly?

I am just glad Firefox saves most of my anger. Thank you Mozilla

No comments:

Post a Comment